Three Kids and a Dog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Breaking News...Literally

Austen fractures his arm in gym class on Monday (which they now only call PE and Austen promptly corrects me every opportunity he gets). I'm downtown so after I talk to the school nurse and relay all this information to Tom (who is local), he takes him to the urgent care to get an X-ray which shows he has a buckle fracture.  There goes his fall sports season, I think. I am not sure who is going to be more disappointed, me or Austen. The games were just getting good too. 

The good news in all this is I found a orthopedist who would see him on Tuesday. The one the urgent care referred us to only could see him on Friday, which seemed like a long time to wait for a cast.  Anyway, everything had to be carefully orchestrated as our nanny uses my car during the day to take our kids to activities and Peyton had gymnastics and then had to be dropped off at school. If all went well, I could walk to school to get Austen and walk home with him (we live about a short walk away) and our nanny would just be getting back from dropping off Peyton.  But, of course our car chose that day to die on us. I had to call Tom to run over and jump the car, deposit Peyton at school and our nanny raced home to meet me so I could make it to Austen's doctor's appointment. Not sure how we did it but somehow we made it, and on time. Oh, and I forgot to mention our credit card company called - our card number was stolen during all of this. Fun! 

Long story, short - the orthopedist and his nurse were great. Austen got to select his cast color. He chose red for his school (or Indiana!). These casts are waterproof these days so they don't even need to wrap it when showering. Nice! 
They also encouraged Austen to get right back into his activities and play. So no missing out on gym class, recess, flag football or soccer.  I thought this was great and wanted to get him back to doing these things again because he seemed very cautious about doing so. So I sent him to soccer practice tonight and his coach said he looked like the same Austen out on the soccer field. His cast was not even a thought in his mind as he was playing. He was just playing his game. 

I'm so glad he was okay and that he's adjusting to buckling his seatbelt in the car, catching a football, buttoning his pants and other items that might require two good hands. And, I'm so glad that I'm still standing in one piece after all of this. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home